Please briefly describe your career after your graduation at SSTH
I started my chef career with the Peabody hotel group in America as a kitchen management trainee. While working with peabody I learned about american cuisine. In 2 years’ time in the USA travelled to the UK and worked at the hanburry manor Hotel in Ware , Hertfordshire for one year, then I moved to the Oberoi Hotels in Bombay, India. I was working with Oberoi’s for 5 years.
After completing contracts with Oberoi hotels I travelled to UAE in the year 2011 and joined Rotana hotels and have been working in UAE.
My current assignment is with the Grand Excelsior Hotel in Dubai.
I love the work culture in UAE.
Which position do you hold and which are your main tasks?
I am working as the Executive sous chef who is head of kitchen production team.
The main task are being related to me.
- Plan kitchen operations via checking the hotel occupancy and events
- Meet and greet guest at public area’s.
- Assist in the building of an efficient team of employees through Multi Skilling, Multi Tasking and flexible scheduling and by taking an active interest in their welfare, safety and development.
- Develop departmental trainers, assign training responsibilities and meet with Departmental Trainers monthly.
- Keep Food & Beverage employees up to date with seasonally available products and new products on the market.
- Conduct yearly performance appraisal and give employees regular feedback on their job performance.
- Ensure that all employees report for duty punctually wearing the correct uniform and name badge at all times.
- Ensure that all employees provide a courteous and professional service at all times.
- Ensure that all employees have a complete understanding of and adhere to the Hotel's Employee Rules & Regulations and adhere to the hotel's policy relating to Fire, Hygiene, Health and Safety.
- Carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Project at all times a positive and motivated attitude and exercise self-control.
- Comply with the company corporate code of conduct at all times.
- Familiarize yourself with the company vision and values which link to our model of desired behaviors that we expect all employees to display.
- Perform other tasks at the level of the role as directed by your line manager in pursuit of the achievement of business goals.
- To promote team work within the department & ensure quality at workplace is maintained without sexual discrimination and harassment.
- Have the desire and ability to improve your knowledge and abilities through on-going training.
- Ability to work as part of a diverse team with colleagues from different viewpoints, cultures and countries.
- Maintain a good rapport and working relationship with all the staff in other departments.
- Attend and contribute to all staff meetings Departmental and Hotel trainings scheduled and other related activities.
What do you love the most in your current job?
The trust, respect and hard work among the colleagues.
How do you inspire your guests/customers?
I always inspire my guest with an honest and genuine smile.
Describe a positive guest or customer contact, which you will always remember.
While working I always come across guest from all over the world who dine with us. So one of the family from Netherlands with a baby girl kid and a baby boy were so good, while I interacted with them and made them feel happy with genuine smile and good food .they were very impressed and made repeated reservations in our hotel, as well shared there positive experiences on the social media web sited like Instagram and Facebook.
They called me “The best chef “.
Which knowledge from the SSTH time is very valuable for you today?
Being on time, being creative, being honest and above all being a good human being.
If you think back to the time at the SSTH, do you immediately remember something?
Certainly, the first thing I remember is the super professional teaching techniques implemented while teaching new concepts .
What is your leadership philosophy?
Work with the team.
What are your next private and professional goals?
Create a data bank of food photos.
What do you think is the latest and most important trend in the hotel business at the moment?
Organic food ,health concepts and diet oriented drinks.
What advice do you give to current SSTH students?
Be original, follow the rules, work hard, rest will follow.